2016 Legislation by Senator Anderson
SB 927 - Public Utility District Election of Directors Proposal
SB 927 will restore local control to local government. This bill allows public utilities districts in San Diego County to move from at large elections to district elections, should they decide to do so.
SB 948 - Department of Developmental Services Funding
SB 948 will keep our promise to ensure a secure social safety net for California’s developmentally disabled citizens by establishing a reliable funding stream in the state budget for services for the developmentally disabled. This bill will ensure that Californians with intellectual disabilities, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, and closely related disabling conditions get placed in supported-living, receive job training and placement, and life-long individualized case management.
SB 952 - Pharmacy Technicians Licensing Requirements
SB 952 would allow individuals interested in becoming certified pharmacy technicians the freedom to choose between more than one certification examination administrator by eliminating the statutory monopoly one company has in administering the exam.
SB 1057 - Andy’s Law / Terrorism: Civil Again
SB 1057 would allow victims of terrorism and their families to begin to heal by allowing them to recover damages and attorney's fees from those who facilitate those acts of terrorism. Giving victims and their families the legal tools to collect restitution by seizing assets will also bring responsibility to those who up to now have been able to hide in the shadows of these heinous acts.
SB 1087 - Evidence: Production of Business Records
SB 1087 would help to make criminal prosecutions more efficient by allowing business records obtained by a search warrant to be admissible in court. Current law only grants admissibility to business documents obtained by a subpoena. When a prosecuting office is doing a criminal investigation most business records are obtained via search warrant and this bill is needed to use those documents as evidence at trial.
SB 1117 - Public Social Service: Special Needs Trusts
SB 1117 will help families by allowing a medical needs family trust for a deceased family member to be transferred to pay for the care of another family member with similar needs before the state can place a lien to recover the costs of the deceased’s healthcare.
SB 1158 - Improving and Promoting Flexibility in Trust Administration
SB 1158 would clarify the law that court approval is not needed when beneficiaries of an irrevocable trust consent to any proposed changes in the trust.
SB 1245 - Small-Home Residential Care Facilities; hours worked
SB 1245 would provide small-home residential care employers with statutory clarity that live-in caregivers paid for 24-hour shifts are not paid for 8 hours of sleep time unless any sleep time is interrupted to perform work. The bill does not change the law or affect existing litigation: it merely codifies standard practice as authorized in Wage Order 5 of the California Department of Industrial Relations Industrial Welfare Commission.
SB 1256 - Civility in California Litigation Act
SB 1256 will improve access to justice by reducing frivolous lawsuits from clogging up the court system. This bill will give the subject of a civil complaint 30 days to correct the harm before a lawsuit can be filed.
Legislative honors bestowed on Senator Anderson:
- California Small Business Association Legislator of the Year
- American Veterans Legislator of the Year
- American Legion Legislator of the Year
- San Diego Deputy District Attorneys’ Association Legislator of the Year
- San Diego County Apartment Association Legislator of the Year
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists Legislator of the Year
- Pacific Water Quality Association Legislator of the Year
- Sportsmen’s and Animal Owners’ Voting Alliance Legislator of the Year
- San Diego Psychiatric Society Legislator of the Year
- California League of Off-Road Voters Legislator of the Year
- and California Rifle and Pistol Association Legislator of the Year.
Anderson has received the following groups’ highest rating:
- National Federation of Independent Business
- Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association
- California Chamber of Commerce
- California Taxpayers Association.
Senator Anderson was recognized by the following groups for his legislative leadership:
- San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce
- California Senior Legislature
- Fallbrook Chamber of Commerce
- Orange County Business Council Golden Acorn Award
- Dog Owners of California
- California Association of County Veterans Service Officers
- Protector of Marriage Award
- Capitol Resource Family Impact
- Jewish Public Affairs Committee